Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Day in Seattle

On Sunday, my friend Jasmine and I drove to Seattle to attend the Nobel Wines Annual Northwest Producers Tasting at Tom Douglas' Palace Ballroom (2030 5th Avenue ~ www.tomdouglas.com/palace-ballroom) in Seattle. Although the tasting was enjoyable and rich with delicious wines, the rest of our adventure was simply exquisite.

We first visited the Pike Place Market as well as the shops across the street and in Post Alley including Sur La Table, Pike & Western Wine Shop, Kitchen Basics, etc.

At Sur La Table (84 Pine Street ~ www.surlatable.com), I purchased a much needed, rubber headed pastry brush. I received a 15% discount - because I'm 'in the trade.' As we were about to leave, an employee offered to make me a latte at no charge. After a brief chat, I told her about my new blog and she told me she would read it during her break. Another reader! What a wonderful shop - chock full of epicurean delights and helpful, friendly employees!

After a few other stops, we ended at Tom Douglas' Etta's Restaurant (www.tomdouglas.com/restaurants/ettas). I ordered both the halibut taco and pork taco with fresh guacamole ($4 total) and Jasmine ordered the Beecher's macaroni and cheese ($6). Both were excellent, but the real find at Etta's was the glass of Chinook 2008 Yakima Valley Cabernet Franc Rose ($9) I ordered! What a treat. I have read about this wine over the past few years, but have never taken the time to try it. I really have been missing out on basically the Northwest's 'perfect summer sipper.'

From the Chinook Wines web-site:

Fresh, lively & a lovely color – this new release of Chinook’s classic dry rosé is a Washington summer favorite. We make our rosé each year from one of our personal favorite varieties: Cabernet Franc. Enjoy it with salty snacks, such as thinly sliced Mangalitsa ham, or spicy nuts. We expect all the 2008 rosé to be consumed this summer & fall!

Check out the Chinook Winery at www.chinookwines.com.

After happy hour at Etta's we walked across the street and ended up at the Pike & Western Wine Shop (1934 Pike Place ~ www.pikeandwestern.com) and found the Chinook Rose at $14.99 a bottle - the winery's suggested retail. A wine this delightful, at this value price, is a must have! Pick one up at our local grocery store or wine shop. You simply won't regret it.

We then popped our heads into Kitchen Basics (1514 Pike Place #10 ~ www.mykitchenbasics.com), one of the Northwest's best sources for Fiesta dinnerware - every piece, every color (unlike Macy's and others) as well as a nice selection of 'kitchen basics.' I have been shopping at Kitchen Basics for years and have probably spent a few thousand dollars there. It remains one of my favorite spots in the city.

Next we walked from the market, down 1st Avenue, and ended up in Fran's Chocolates, Ltd. (1325 1st Avenue ~ www.franschocolates.com), on the corner of 1st and Union in the lobby of the new Four Seasons Hotel . As we walked in, we were greeted with a smile and the offer of a sample (which was amazing) and both Jasmine and I dropped a twenty on fine chocolate and caramels. By the way, the prices were reasonable and twenty dollars sends you away with a nice selection.

Recommended by my friend Patrick, we then walked around the corner and entered the new Four Seasons Hotel
(99 Union Street ~ www.fourseasons.com) to view their lobby/elevator landing art collection. The hotel is literally full of art by the masters of the Northwest School including originals by Mark Tobey, Kenneth Callahan, Morris Graves and others (art directories are available at the concierge desk). If you enjoy the work of the Northwest School, this is an exciting stop. Thanks for the recommendation Patrick!

We then visited Arundel Books (1001 1st Avenue ~ ww.arundelbooks.com) where I found a perfect-condition hardcopy of Johnathon Livingston Seagull ($7) and Jasmine found a number of old play scripts ($3-6 each). The store clerk - DeDe Teeters - was delightful and very helpful and even suggested that I check out a new Leavenworth Winery called Eagle Creek (10037 Eagle Creek Road, Leavenworth ~ www.eaglecreekwinery.com).

Next we drove down to Pioneer Square and headed into Elliott Bay Books (101 South Main Street ~ www.elliottbaybook.com), which is massive and amazing. I bought a wonderful new wine book entitled Heard it Through the Grapevine: The Things You Should Know to Enjoy Wine by Matt Skinner ($24.99) and Jasmine purchased a stack of novels.

Our last stop in Seattle found us meeting up with my friend Alex and his friend Chelsea at Black Bottle Wine Bar (2600 1st Avenue ~ www.blackbottleseattle.com) in Belltown. I had a glass of the 2003 Foris
Rogue Valley Fly Over Red Blend ($7) and Jasmine and I shared the smoked chicken/caramelized onion/sun-dried cherry flatbread ($9). The wine had a peculiar nose but was enjoyable enough to drink - jammy and spicy. The flatbread was amazing! I will certainly return to Black bottle for a second helping.

Cheers!

Stephen Pavletich
Wine & Spirits Director
Ocean Crest Resort


2 comments:

  1. I work with the Chef at Westport winery who is a "graduate" of the kitchen at Etta's. What a nice place. And I love Sur la Table, and have taken advantage of that discount many times! I see the Crest this afternon, but I bet before you get there. See you soon! Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, thanks for your kind words. I'm sorry I will miss you today. I am honored to have you as one of my readers!

    ReplyDelete